Questions To Consider When Changing Firm
This short piece is aimed at Practice Accountants who might be considering moving to a larger, similar sized or smaller firm. A career in practice can be incredibly rewarding, helping businesses grow/ develop and operate successfully.
You should always look at moving firm in the context of your 3 – 5 career plan.
What are your motivations?
- Working to Manager/ Director/ Partner
- Working towards opening your own firm
- Looking for steady role with a firm that will offer good work/ life balance
What do you feel might be lacking in your current role and will the role/ firm you’re considering be able to offer what you are looking for?
The following questions might assist with the decision-making process and will hopefully help you make solid, well-informed choices.
- Moving to a Larger Firm – Big 4/ Top 20
- Working for a larger firm can offer a host of advantages –
- Having an international brand name on your CV
- Working with larger clients – PLCs etc
- Exposure to interesting/ technical work
- Defined career progression
What might be required –
- Working on client sites for longer periods (audits)
- The work you are doing might have a more specific focus
- Longer hours (TOIL is frequently offered)
- Working in a larger office environment
Would you be happy to do this?
Questions like the above might help in your decision-making process and finding what might be best for you!
Moving to a Mid-Sized or Smaller Firm?
Working with a Mid-Sized or Small Firm can offer a wide variety of opportunities in a dynamic and fast-moving SME sector. If considering a position with an SME it might be worthwhile considering the following, with your career plan in mind.
Senior Accountants and Managers looking for progression
- Do you want to progress within a firm to Manager, Director or maybe (in time) Partner level?
- If so, have you considered what might be involved (business development etc)?
- Why is there an opportunity with them now?
- Is there a Partner retiring in the near future?
- What has their growth been like year on year?
- Do you want to eventually open your own firm?
- Have you spoken with others who have done this?
- Is this role/ firm offering a stepping stone to that goal?
Accountants looking for a steady role or work/life balance?
- Will this role require off site travel? If so, how often and for how long?
- Do they offer flexitime?
- Do they offer an option to work from home?
Part or Recently Qualified
- Do you want to gain exposure to different/ larger clients?
- Is there a specific sector you’re interested in?
- What firms might offer this?
- When did they promote a member of staff last?
Who will I be working for?
A key insight I always try to give is what a firm’s partners are like as people.
- What do they value?
- What are their interests?
- What do they expect from their staff?
- What is the working environment like? (Do they promote a social scene)
Your recruiter should be able to give you a thorough brief on most, if not all, of the questions above.
If you would like to have a more detailed conversation about your next career move, please get in touch directly –
P – 0871902963